Tropical Storm Gonzalo Key Messages:
– Watches & Warnings: A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for Tobago. A Hazardous Seas Alert is in effect for Eastern and Northern coastal waters of Trinidad, all coastal waters of Tobago. An Adverse Weather Alert is in effect for Trinidad.
– Weather: Activity is forecast to begin across Tobago late Friday night and across Trinidad after midnight into Saturday. Peak activity is expected late Saturday morning through Saturday afternoon across both islands.
– Intensity: Across Trinidad, wind gusts in excess of 65 KM/H are likely in heavier showers or thunderstorms. Across Tobago, wind gusts in excess of 85 KM/H are expected.
– Rainfall: As of Friday afternoon, direct and indirect impacts are forecast, with the overall forecast rainfall totals increased. Slight adjustments in the track may have significant changes in the rainfall forecast. Generally, between 50-100 millimeters of rainfall forecast Friday through Sunday, with isolated totals in excess of 150 millimeters in areas of persisting heavy rainfall and thunderstorm activity, mainly across Northern, Eastern Trinidad and Tobago.
– Flooding: Street flooding and flash flooding in heavy to violent showers and thunderstorms are likely. There is a medium chance of riverine flooding.
– Landslides: There is the medium to high risk of landslides across Trinidad and a very high risk across Tobago.
– Seas: Seas are forecast to deteriorate on Friday night, with waves up to 2.5 meters, occasionally up to 3.0 meters into Saturday. Mainly on Saturday, forecast to be moderate to rough, with waves up to 3.0 meters, occasionally very rough, up to 4.0 meters in open waters. In sheltered areas, up to 1.5 meters and choppy.
The Adverse Weather Alert
As we’ve been monitoring, Tropical Storm Gonzalo is forecast to move near Trinidad and Tobago on Saturday 25th July 2020. With southward trending tracks on Friday, the potential for adverse weather has increased.
Because of this, the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service issued an Adverse Weather Alert Yellow Level on Friday afternoon at 3:53 PM.
This alert will begin at 11:00 AM Saturday 25th July 2020 through 8:00 PM Saturday 25th July 2020.
Information from the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service concerning the Adverse Weather Alert for July 25th 2020
“There is 75% ( high) chance of heavy showers and thunderstorm activity developing this afternoon into the evening with light to moderate rain and/or showers occurring intermittently. These conditions are attributed to the passage of a Tropical Wave. Street/flash flooding can be expected in heavy downpours and gusty winds in excess of 60km/hr can accompany showers and thunderstorm activity. Seas can become agitated/choppy in the vicinity of showers and thunderstorms.” according to the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service. This “alert” status takes into account the possibility of the event occurring. This adverse weather event is likely.
The color of the alert indicates the severity of the event and the probability of the event occurring. Currently, the alert level is at Yellow. This means that the hazard is possible to be aware of the impacts of Street/Flash Flooding and Gusty Winds in your area. Areas prone to landslides should also be aware of the hazard and impacts.